HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - saving for my FIRST ever travel/guided hunt
Old 02-15-2020, 12:59 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

well, if you want high success rates a guided bear hunt over bait is about the highest your going to get, most all GOOD outfitters will almost give you a 100% chance at a bear or get a second hunt free deal LOL

get to hunt in countless places and prices can be from fair to HIGH as you want to part with

next, I think Caribou hunts are also something SUPER high odds on getting, and if you time a hunt right, you can possibly add other critters if you tag out or, just want to make a trip have more options while traveling afar!
and again, hunts can cost pretty reasonable prices to HIGH dollar hunts

when you get into Moose, the eastern side of Canada maybe the cheapest, and have good odds, and again can add other species if wanted to(again some times you can even BUY tags after you tag out on main species to KEEP your hunting going, if you tag out on day 1 of 6 or7 day hunt!)
or again, can add fishing to MOST hunts too!

when you get into more northern and north western hunts for moose, prices can get a LOT higher REAL fast
but to some the scenery and dream hunt memories they can have are with every extra penny they costs, all the more so if you get good weather an fall colors!

NOW as for other species, ELK can be had pretty easy out western USA,, same for western Canada, prices can be from high to SUPER high, or reasonable, pending HOW you want the hunt to go, hike in, camp, have camp set up, horse back, argo's 1 on one guided, or with 2 on 1 guides
HOW you pick the hunt, matters on costs and maybe even experience
as will you be going alone, or with a buddy, that you know and DON"T mind hunting next to on a 2x1 guided deal!
1x1 normally increases odds for you, but adds costs!

NOW My main question here will be WHY have you NOT considered a DIY hunt
I know to many it can seem like a lot of extra work and all, but I have done them all over the USA for past 30+ yrs or so
and find there NOT that hard can be WAY WAY WAY cheaper, and if you do your part well enough can be just as successful and many times more rewarding IMO

to be honest here I think you need to really pick a game animal, and then plan from there
I don;'t do hunts out of North america anymore
too many rules shots and added steps I don;t care to take anymore
not saying there bad, just NOT for me any more, too many things here I prefer to hunt and not enough time or $$ to do them all as is , don't need to confuse my thinking adding in other possible species

just remember MOST of the work you PUT into planning a hunt , comes back to you,
check outfitters out hard ask every possible question you have and FACT check there answers and referrals
LOTS of folks get BAD hunts due to lack of THEM making the effort to know what there getting and then come on forums and blame outfitters, when many times its there own fault for not asking and knowinwg what all they were in for or getting or NOT getting!
and STILL some times asking ALL the right questions hunts can fail
from being lied to, weather, hunting pressure, just things changing from one yr to another, fires, and so on! things happen!

but more you know ahead of time and options on WHAT IF"S< better off you are!

pick a critter first and then location, and DIG deep with Q&A's LOL