HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bow hunting whitetail is hard!
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 10:21 AM
JoeMcNamara
Spike

Default know when to draw back your bow & when not to draw

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Jake that was the most fun I ever had in a stand without getting an animal. They'd run past on my left, then the right, back behind me, in front of me. The does often stopped right in front of me but as soon as the buck that was chasing her would get too close she was off again. If she would have waited for him I might have gotten a shot. Now if she stood for him, being a gentleman, I would have waited until they were done. Then shot him!! LOL
I
It depends on your situation at the time you want to draw back your bow to shoot a deer.
•If the deer is walking, let him get pass you with a quartering away shot. Draw, aim, let her fly. Their senses are not as sharp when they are on the move.
•If the the deer is moving in a slow grazing pace. Wait until the deer’s head is behind a tree or other. That way the deer will not see you draw. Draw your bow back at that time. Try to be as quiet as possible. If you have noisy clothing or bow. He most likely will stop. Unfortunately his vitals will be behind the tree. I found that timing is everything. If you draw the very second his nose gets to the tree. If he hears you, his eyes will be behind the tree when he stops. And his vitals wide open.
•When you commit yourself to drawing. Follow through and at that point don’t worry about if his saw or heard you. YOU MUST GET YOUR PIN ON TARGET & PULL THE TRIGGER. Let that meat eater fly!!!
•When hunting with a bow. Always pay attention to the wind. If you want to get close and undetected. YOU MUST STAY AWAY FROM HIS NOSE. If he smells you, its game over!!! Hang them stands down wind of those deer trails, bedding area’s and food plots. GOOD LUCK HUNTING!!!