View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 12:50 PM
gemihur's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ridgelines of the Roanoke Valley, VA
Posts: 50

I'd suspicion the scope.
24 clicks and no movement of impact is a sign of non-responsive equipment.
Does your Wolf wear a rynite stock by chance?
I will tell you that your load of 100 gr. of 777 is a stout charge by any rifle's standards. Recommended by CVA or not!
Do you realize that the charge you're using is equivalent to approximately 115 gr. of black powder.
That scope has probably been shell-shocked!
My suggestion is to back your load down to 80 gr. and mount up a fixed 4X scope and head back to the range.
Take it easy, man. A .50 caliber bullet doesn't need to be moving at Mach 2 to kill a deer.
Here's a story, it may entertain you, it may not, but it's true ...
This was accomplished with a rifle that my brother had bought off of Craigslist for $45 and I gave him 50 since he didn't hunt.
I had loaded the Traditions Pursuit the week prior with 80 gr. 777 behind a 270 gr. Powerbelt and took it hunting. I did not fire it since no game appeared.
Upon returning home to load bench I notice that I had zeroed scope with 90 gr. 777.
I knew it was gonna shoot different but did not know to what degree. Well, I hunted from 6:30 AM to around 9:30 having jumped a small doe that used the downhill terrain to make a quick exit. I decided to watch a nearby clear cut right-of-way.
Went and stood on a power line cut with the sun to my back and waited maybe 35-45 minutes when this old buck started up the hill in front of me.
As he entered my shooting lane at around 50 yds. I held center of body above front leg. The shot rang out and he ran as if unhurt, as they always do,
but when he went in the woods on the far side I could just make out an interruption to his gait.
Just inside the woods he faltered and I could only barely see a twitching white tail but it wasn't changing location. I felt somewhat assured with that.
When I got to where he had stood when I shot I found a patch of white deer hair and a good bit of blood. Upon following the bloodtrail it was evident that he was hit hard.
I got to the buck about 40 yds. later and was concerned with his size because I'm not too big and he clearly weighed more than I did.
After field-dressing with more difficulty than I normally experience with the normal size deer I usually kill I found the bullet had dropped from line of sight about 8" and luckily passed thru the lower region of the heart.
I took my time dragging the deer, careful not to overexert myself.
A few years back we lost a friend of the family at the young age of 46 after suffering a heart attack while dragging his game from the woods.
This thought kept nagging me every time I tired from the resistance of the deer during the drag. I took frequent breaks to catch my breath and then start fresh to continue the approximate 350 yds. over rough terrain to the logging road where I could get my vehicle near my trophy. When I got him to the truck I tied him to the hitch and slowly drove to a field where I met the landowner who I had called and he met me with his backhoe. I pulled the buck into the bucket and he raised it above the tailgate of my Chevy Tahoe while I pulled it into the cargo space. It made the loading very easy.
I don't know the exact weight of that deer, but when I dropped him at the processing room there were 156 deer ahead of me and among them all I only saw one that was equal in size to mine.
It was #157.
That's the story... and I'm stickin' to it.
P.S. That heart was the size of a grapefruit!
Attached Images  
gemihur is offline