HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Troublesome question
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 05:08 PM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Default Troublesome question

Members - I had loaded some cast bullets with two different loads using my cast bullets for my .45-70 Marlin 1895 Cowboy. One with IMR4064 and another with IMR3031. Those with the 4064 shot great but the ones with 3031 the groups were 3x bigger! So I figured instead of wasting the bullets and powder just shooting them off I would pull them with my inertia puller when I got home. In doing so I noticed that the veggie wads on most of the bullets were really stuck to the bullets even though I made sure I wiped the bullet bases off with mineral spirits to remove any lube and they had several days to dry. I'm not really sure if these wads would come off during firing or not or if they would have any effect on accuracy even if they didn't. After all they are the same size or slightly smaller than the bullet itself.
What's your opinion?
As someone told me earlier, a pinch of cotton between the wad and the bullet is sometimes used. Is this the reason for using the cotton? Or would I be better off having the wad in contact with the bullet base?
I'm heading up to the cabin for a couple days so I won't be able to see any responses until I get back.

Last edited by bronko22000; 06-02-2019 at 05:11 PM.