HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rocks & some shale - how to work ground?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 01:04 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

first off, welcome to the site
I have 30 + yrs of building food plots as experience, and am also in PA!

so??
this is a hard question to answer , as the best answer would be very costly
your options
spraying and burning down the top vegetation, then seeding, will work to a point, BUT since you said you have a lot of Large rocks sticking up, preventing mower(and possibly spraying if a tow behind sprayer)
its going to be very hard to keep any food plot weed free and attractive.
SO< the best option here to get the best take will be to remove rocks
this can be a long hard job, or costly or both
if you have access to equipment that can turn the soil over well and pull up rocks, you can TRY and find a local farmer with a rock picker and get help that way
or maybe rent a rock bucket for a front end loader or a skid steer
and do your best tot get as many rocks out of the plot site as possible
just keep in mind as freeze/thaws actions happen, MORE rocks will keep coming up over time, its amazing how many rocks can be in a area too
in my one 6 acre site(also in PA) over the past 20 yrs I managed it, I pulled about 100 tri axle loads of rocks out of it, and there was a LOT left ,

some so big a d 6 dozer wouldn't even make them twitch!

those I learned to mow around

so, as I said, this is a sort of hard question to answer, as
without moving the rocks your going to have a issue turning soil over to plant that way, and , also, have issue's trying to maintain a plot by not being able to mow/spray to control weeds

its also a lot harder to correct soil PH, as lime will most likely be needed and a LOT of it, guessing re claimed coal mine lands and they tend to be VERY low in PH, might need a ton or more of lime per acre and limes needs either to be worked into the soil or a LOT of time to leach into soil to change its PH
soil tests will be your friend here
as will BULK lime spreading if you can get it, HUGE difference in price of liming a site, and easier to get limed