HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What does it typically cost to rent a UTV (side by side)?
Old 04-06-2019, 01:59 PM
Dave_Preston
Spike

Originally Posted by CalHunter
For the OP, I get that you have a lot of questions and are trying to figure out your own way in the hunting world. We all are although some people here have hunted for decades and have figured it out pretty well. I know that you reviewed the site before joining and posting. I don't know how deeply you delved into the topics and posts so you may not have picked up some generalities in this website. A few things do come to mind regarding your general line of posting and questions, etc.

Many people will read topics but unless they have something to add or know the answer to a question posed (such as rental prices), they won't post in the topic. It's a sign of respect--they don't want to clutter up your topic with posts where they simply don't have an answer or anything to add that they think would help you. Posting "testing 12345" isn't likely to spur many people to answer. The forum dynamics may seem frustrating to you but that's why there are multiple hunting forum websites as each tends to have it's own unique type of subject matter and posts along with some expected general overlap. Once you start searching the net for a specific topic, you will usually find somebody has posted something about said topic. Maybe even check out an Idaho-specific hunting website for more localized information.

Most of the people on here that hunt tend to pride themselves on hiking to their hunting area, whether they are hunting from a tree-stand, blind or spot and stalk. If they're hunting on public land, vehicles are usually prohibited or restricted to existing roads and trails. Most states tend to have somewhat similar laws about motorized vehicles and hunting but you may find an exception here and there. Having said that, most people on HNI deliberately hike at least a half mile away from roads, vehicles and people while hunting as you will usually find more animals avoiding all 3. It's a bit of a pride thing but also a chance to escape from the world, vehicles, people and just enjoy the total experience that nature has to offer.

An last but certainly not least. I've previously posted that it will help if you post more specifics about the animal(s) you want to hunt, state, type of terrain, type of hunting you'd like to do and even any physical limitations you may or may not want to share. For instance, most bird hunting (except turkeys) involves using a dog. Many people are avid bird hunters and that may be a better fit for you. Small game like rabbits are often hunted with dogs and that may work better for you. These are merely suggestions and you're free to ignore them if you like but they are offered after almost 2 decades of being on this forum. Hopefully this helps you get more use and satisfaction from using HNI.
I'm planning to move to Indiana by this summer. I'm age 55 and have rheumatoid arthritis. I have limited ability to hike. Again, in Indiana I understand the terrain is mostly flat or rolling hills. I don't honestly know how far a deer stand would be from the place a pickup truck is parked. I do know that in states like Idaho one can get a special disability permit to get a motor vehicle close to their point of hunt. I can walk about a two mile round trip with no gear and that's about it. I'm sure even an electric side-by-side might qualify if a hunter can get a disability permit. My apology about the 12345. That was a computer error I had tried to delete earlier but I couldn't because a message here said I was limited to 5 posts a day. If I can't get a disability permit or even a hunting buddy or two, my only other option is to hire people to carry my gear and drag my deer or push the deer with a deer cart back to the truck. I do love good venison especially a doe, but it's not just that one should be deprived because of disability.