HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Turkey Hunter (Maryland) - Reading Maps for hunts?
Old 03-19-2019, 10:12 AM
Erno86
Nontypical Buck

I've never hunted or been to Stafford Road...but some ol'timer told me that there turkeys up on Sidling Hill. As far as I know, Stafford Rd. is still closed too off-road vehicles. They did a major drug sting some years back, when ORV's were still allowed. Then they finally closed it down to ORV's, when somebody started cutting down and stealing live trees. When it was open to ORV's...the traffic going in an out of Stafford Rd. was terrible.

Somebody usually has a huge tent city...during the spring, at the bottom of White Sulfur Spring Road. Be aware of coon hunters during the night, when the season is open. The last rabies epidemic in Maryland started in GRSF...when some coon hunters trapped and transported live rabid raccoons from Georgia and released them in GRSF.

About 40 years ago...the hunting lodge above the Log Roll Overlook (was named after the place where lumberjacks used to roll logs from Green Ridge Road down to Town Creek), was raided by the NRP, and had all of their cars and guns confiscated for shooting at wild turkeys with rifles; from their hunting lodge down at the valley next to Town Creek.

I've never seen a timber rattler in GRSF, and there still on the endangered species list. A good location for timber rattlers is on South Mountain, on the north side of 68 in Washington County, Maryland.

Most of the chipmunks in GRSF have been shot-out.

Last edited by Erno86; 03-19-2019 at 10:55 AM. Reason: added a word