HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Turkey Hunter (Maryland) - Reading Maps for hunts?
Old 03-15-2019, 10:12 AM
Erno86
Nontypical Buck

I know of only two fatal deer hunting accidents that occurred in GRSF, which happened over 50 years ago.
One was a deer hunter who claimed he shot at a fox, only to have the bullet ricochet against a rock, and went on to hit an kill another deer hunter.

Another...when a deer hunter was sitting against a large tree --- The bullet entered the opposite side of the tree he was sitting against --- It traveled in a radius, underneath the bark and excited out to hit the back of the deer hunter.

I've had a couple of close calls myself, that occurred in GRSF. One fall turkey season... a kid sprayed shotgun pellets near enough (10 feet) for me to see the pellets rustle the leaves. The 14 year old boy claimed that he was shooting at a squirrel.

Another occurred during first day of a deer season --- When about 10am, I heard a deer that was bedded down in some heavy brush. I could hear a loud rasping breathing sound, that indicated the deer was shot in the throat. I met two other hunters that I've never seen before and told them I was going to investigate the deer on the side of a ridge. I walked up the ridge, and I heard the deer spook --- Then...two bullets snapped nearby, directly over my head, from one of the two hunters who I had just talked too. I hit the ground belly first. One of the hunters shouted to the other hunter not to shoot anymore, because I was still on the ridge. Turns out...the hunter illegally shot & killed the wounded doe and sneaked it out of GRSF.

Of course...the DNR & park rangers patrol the roads of GRSF, and will ask any campers if they have any loaded firearms in the campsite. They'll ask you if they can inspect the firearms. I don't have any qualms about the search technique for loaded forearms in camp, since it is against forest rules to have loaded firearms in a campsite. I don't know whether a CCW permit holder would exempt him from that rule.

Last edited by Erno86; 03-15-2019 at 10:18 AM. Reason: added a word