Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
New Turkey Hunter (Maryland) - Reading Maps for hunts? >

New Turkey Hunter (Maryland) - Reading Maps for hunts?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New Turkey Hunter (Maryland) - Reading Maps for hunts?

Old 03-18-2019, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scout it well always be above or level with him before calling , and don’t call to much keep it soft and little as possible public land birds get messed with a bunch and the biggest mistake folks make is calling to much , if it has mountains like here in WVA hunt the tops , and be patient good luck and be safe
Old 03-19-2019, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never hunted or been to Stafford Road...but some ol'timer told me that there turkeys up on Sidling Hill. As far as I know, Stafford Rd. is still closed too off-road vehicles. They did a major drug sting some years back, when ORV's were still allowed. Then they finally closed it down to ORV's, when somebody started cutting down and stealing live trees. When it was open to ORV's...the traffic going in an out of Stafford Rd. was terrible.

Somebody usually has a huge tent city...during the spring, at the bottom of White Sulfur Spring Road. Be aware of coon hunters during the night, when the season is open. The last rabies epidemic in Maryland started in GRSF...when some coon hunters trapped and transported live rabid raccoons from Georgia and released them in GRSF.

About 40 years ago...the hunting lodge above the Log Roll Overlook (was named after the place where lumberjacks used to roll logs from Green Ridge Road down to Town Creek), was raided by the NRP, and had all of their cars and guns confiscated for shooting at wild turkeys with rifles; from their hunting lodge down at the valley next to Town Creek.

I've never seen a timber rattler in GRSF, and there still on the endangered species list. A good location for timber rattlers is on South Mountain, on the north side of 68 in Washington County, Maryland.

Most of the chipmunks in GRSF have been shot-out.

Last edited by Erno86; 03-19-2019 at 10:55 AM. Reason: added a word
Old 03-25-2019, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

Anywhere in GRSF is good for turkey. Look at East Valley Rd. start there...
Old 03-29-2019, 09:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rogerstv
If legal, I would scout sooner than the day before. Even if you sit in your vehicle in the evenings a week or two before season and listen. Bachelor groups have not broken up yet. So, they are still in winter mode. Won't be long before they break apart.

I would scout at least a couple weeks prior and look for scratches. Areas where turkeys cleared the fallen leaves while feeding.

If you bump one the day before season, you've messed up your opening day. The bird will likely return, but not before the next morning.
I will be getting there the day before. I will scout it out for a good while and listen for some gobbles. Probably check out a few spots that I have been eyeing up on the map. I wish I could scout it out a lot sooner but my schedule isnt permitting me to do so. Its about 3 hours away from where I am so it make s it difficult to do a short trip.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:20 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by cyclone
Anywhere in GRSF is good for turkey. Look at East Valley Rd. start there...
Thanks for the tip! I was thinking of getting a campsite near there. I think I am on the right track for finding a bird.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:22 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Erno86
I've never hunted or been to Stafford Road...but some ol'timer told me that there turkeys up on Sidling Hill. As far as I know, Stafford Rd. is still closed too off-road vehicles. They did a major drug sting some years back, when ORV's were still allowed. Then they finally closed it down to ORV's, when somebody started cutting down and stealing live trees. When it was open to ORV's...the traffic going in an out of Stafford Rd. was terrible.

Somebody usually has a huge tent city...during the spring, at the bottom of White Sulfur Spring Road. Be aware of coon hunters during the night, when the season is open. The last rabies epidemic in Maryland started in GRSF...when some coon hunters trapped and transported live rabid raccoons from Georgia and released them in GRSF.

About 40 years ago...the hunting lodge above the Log Roll Overlook (was named after the place where lumberjacks used to roll logs from Green Ridge Road down to Town Creek), was raided by the NRP, and had all of their cars and guns confiscated for shooting at wild turkeys with rifles; from their hunting lodge down at the valley next to Town Creek.

I've never seen a timber rattler in GRSF, and there still on the endangered species list. A good location for timber rattlers is on South Mountain, on the north side of 68 in Washington County, Maryland.

Most of the chipmunks in GRSF have been shot-out.
Erno86, as always thanks for the info! I'll scout of Stafford rd as well. Its too bad a couple of bad eggs ruined parts of the forest. THANKS!!!