HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Good scope for 500+ shots
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 04:45 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

well again
the scope has NOTHING really to do with shooting FAR
many people shoot 1,000 yards with open sights !
the ability to shoot far, be it a 10 yards or a 1,000 is learning what your rifle and caliber and load and YOU can do with it all,
so maybe your question is more about what can you see to shoot at the distances you want to shoot at
But keep in mind,m just can you can see something better, doesn';t mean you can shoot better
shooting far, is a game of practice and practice and more practice, and its Not something you should be trying to learn to do on live targets!

as JUST having a scope large magnification enough to see far , does NOTHING for you honestly in your ability to shoot far!

YES you need to be able to see a target to shoot it, but there is more to shooting far than having a BIG scope and reading a ballistic chart off a box of ammo!
there is a actual skill you need to LEARN< not every rifle shoot well enough to be good on PAPER at 500 yards , never mind trying to kill a animal!
this is what I am trying to get you to understand here and not trying to be rude about it at all, which is also why I am guessing your rather new to shooting.hunting
Based on the words you have used!
so trying to inform you on somethings maybe your not considering here!

so to again answer your question,
honestly , ANY scope can be used to shoot at 500 yards, from fixed 4 power scopes up to as high as you wish to go
I have been shooting in 1,000 yard matches since the late 80's too by the way, so I have some honest experience here!

if you wanted me to PICK a scope out for you, or anyone else,
maybe tell us what type of rifle you plan to put it on, as this also again matters
BIG scopes don't fit well on lever actions, , size of a scope objective will matter to some as will tube size, as some folks don't like scopes sitting HIGH on there rifles, where BIG objectives many times me HIGH scope mounts
eye relief maybe matters pending on recoil /caliber size of rifle?
so, as they say better info you tell us, better info you will get in return

also, maybe include your honest shooting experience here, a lot of SO called long range scopes can get confusing to newer shooters, having more things they can do!

just please before taking shots at animals, make sure you have made them on paper and can do so consistently, time to learn how to shoot far again is NOT shooting at a live animal!

IMO, after about 20 power, you start to get a lot more issues with mirage