HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bolt action rifle
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 12:49 PM
buffybr
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Man you guys are too fancy for me. All that extra stuff ya gotta operate like a scope and such. My go to favorite is my old TC Renegade smoke pole. No worrying about a busted scope, no worrying about out of battery, no worrying about the safety, just point, shoot, watch a deer lay down. Simplicity has more advantages.
Many years ago I was hunting in northwestern Colorado in their muzzleloading season. I was using a CVA .45 caliber percussion Kentucky rifle that I had built that summer. I was hunting with a couple of friends and I had gone in a different direction than the other two. Earlier that day a light rain came through, and my only cover had been a tall sagebrush, and I had held the rifle's lock under me out of the rain.

A little while after the rain I was quietly walking through a sage flat, and two muley does and the largest non-typical md buck that I have ever seen jumped up less that 50 yards from me and ran almost broadside in front of my. I immediately shouldered my rifle, lined the buckhorn sights on his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. Pop.....pause.....Bang, and when the smoke cleared, all three deer had disappeared.

So I took off in the direction that I had last seen those deer. I hadn't gone very far when I heard a shot, then a minute or so later another shot. A few minutes later I caught up to my two companions standing over a 30" 4x4 plus brow tines and 7 additional points buck. When we examined the deer we found a bullet entrance hole in the back of his chest (and later a .45 cal round ball), a grazing wound on the lower part of one back leg, and a hole in his neck from the (third) killing shot.

We then determined that the .45 caliber ball had hit one lung. As the buck ran past one of my partners, his first shot clipped the buck's rear leg. My partner then reloaded and caught up to the buck that was standing on the back side on a hill, blowing blood out of his mouth, and he finished it with the neck shot. My rifle was .45 caliber, both of my partner's rifles were .50 caliber. I had been shooting a lot of Trap that summer, so I instinctively followed through on crossing targets, including the lung hit on that deer.