Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Bolt action rifle >

Bolt action rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bolt action rifle

Old 02-07-2019, 05:26 PM
Spike

I have a Savage Model 11F in .308 that is really accurate with the Hornady Custom Lite cartridges; this is definitely my go to rifle.

Of course, I'm looking to pick up a Tikka T3x Lite Stainless in 7mm-08, so maybe that will become the new go to
Old 02-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have been thinking about getting a .308win or maybe 7mm-08 with a 20" or maybe 22" barrel.

go-to currenty is a 270win that loves 130gr cheap federal ammo., one of those rifles I can never sell, just too accurate!
thinking about getting another 270 some day.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Horses for courses, as they say.

Variety is the spice of life, as it were...

I’m not sure I have a “go-to” rifle any more, I suppose my 44mag Super Blackhawk would be the one I think of first if I don’t know what I want to take. The last couple deer seasons, I might as well have simply reached into the safe and pulled out whatever came. For 2017, I decided at 10:30pm the night before opener to ask a colleague who had built an AR at my shop if he would let me get his rifle bloody since he left it in my shop for safe keeping between our range trips. For 2018, I was more focused on my son’s wrestling season, and drawn away too much for work, so I just pulled my Precision Rifle match rig out. In 2011, I was using my wife’s rifle to glass a herd of deer after she said she wasn’t comfortable taking the shot... then she told me to shoot the big one. ‘Roundabouts 2003 or 4, Kansas regs were written to allow pistol cartridge carbines for deer, and wanting to experiment, I took a few doe with a Kel-tec Sub2000 in 40, and then a year later, in 9mm, followed by a 9mm G19 when a subsequent rewrite allowed it. We had depredation permits for a few years which I filled with as little as a 22LR... I also fielded my Ruger M77 MkII magnum in 458 Lott for deer a few years. I have no idea what I’ll take out next season. I even built a custom 300wm Ruger M77 Hawkeye meant to reduce how many rifles I take hunting for the rest of my life, but I just can’t bring myself to paint myself into a corner on purpose...

I married one woman, but God’s grace is more generous about hunting rifles!