HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington 700 sps stainless .300 wsm not grouping
Old 12-04-2018, 06:38 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Most rifles will out shoot the shooter. What do the groups look like? Not only size is important but what the groups look like.

Most times it is human error. For instance just for discussion sake lets say the groups shotgun, meaning the are scattered. Most often it is flinch or anticipating the shot.

Sometimes it is how you hold the rifle. Constancy is the key. the hold on your shoulder is part of the recoil. If you hold it tight to your shoulder one shot and loose the next you are going to get poor results.

I've noticed on my rifles how far my eye is from the scope makes a difference and it changes slightly from scope to scope. I can tighten my groups by half a MOA just by getting the right stand off distance from whatever scope I'm using and do it the same every time.

I have a three legged vise, I pad it and put my rifle in there, aim for something at a couple hundred yards. I change magnification and watch the reticle, see if it moves off target slightly. I do the same with focus. And the big one is move your eye farther and closer to your scope and watch the reticle, roll your head a little and see f it moves. There is a sweet spot for most scopes, the eye distance is good when you get too close to the scope, back off until the back ring around the edge just appears. This is my sweet spot (about an inch- inch and a half from my forehead) and if I do it the same every time it seems to tighten my groups.

Another big one is having your groups in a vertical line, I'm pretty sure you know enough to control your breathing. Shooting the rifle hot can also do this, a constant barrel temperature is another constant I pay attention to. I've been know to wait five plus minutes between shots.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 12-06-2018 at 10:29 AM.