HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My first hunt. Ever.
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2018, 05:35 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Woodsman603
So I can only post five times a day which sucks. Not sure if that's because I just joined or what. I can't even edit existing posts.

Went back this morning with two others. A million deer tracks, but no blood. We circled and circled but no signs.

We determined I shot it below the spine, but above the organs. Guess there's somewhat of a gap there. Friends tell me it will probably live. Hell, its probably back where I shot it looking for a doe. And everyone I've talked to says this has happened to them; and it sucks. Apparently trailing it for 7h and a few miles is unheard of.

Learning experience for sure. And I'll never think the deer is dead again. I'll put at least one round into it's skull. Every time. I'll also never push a deer either. I'll look for blood, then head back for an hour.

Still frustrating. Won't get any sleep for a few more days.
The best way to put one down is 2-3 pistol shots through the neck, 4-8 inches in from the shoulder, from about 12 feet away, body shots can be iffy. Be careful shooting at a down Deer from a close distance with a rifle. The bullet may go right through and if it hits a rock it may shatter and/or come back at you. The second time I heard a bullet go zinging off into the woods after shooting a downed Deer with a rifle, I changed tactics. I use a moderate velocity pistol, large bore, heavy bullet 200 grain or more, semi jacketed hollow points work well, Blazer and Silver Tips. And the neck shot is less likely to make a mess.