HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 300 RUM Accuracy
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 12:02 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
McMillan does indeed make an excellent stock. However, due to cost I think it is a bit out of place in a hunting rifle with a factory stock barreled action. I seriously doubt that t would make the OP's rifle shoot even a tiny bit better than any number of very good quality stocks that cost considerably less. McMillan is certainly a top recommendation for a custom or semi-custom rifle that has had skilled action work and a high quality barrel.
well If the OP is planning to do other accuracy improvements True a bolt face, trigger , lap a barrel, re croun a barrel
a Mcmillian stock will only add to the whole project, even on a stock barrel
I have a few guns I did this exact above work to and added a McMillan stock to them and they shoot 1/2 inch groups on factory barrels(2 model 700's and a two model 7's from rem)
and there all hunting rifles and don't regret spending a penny on them, I don't plan to sell them, they are rifles I wanted set up to FIT me and wanted quality parts across the board

I am NOT SAYING< a lesser stock cannot help here, BUT if the OP says he wants the best?
well?? pretty hard to beat a McMillan stock
and BY the way, I also have factory 100% stock rem 700 rifles that shoot 1/2 MOA, in both wood and syn rem stocks!
many times rifles are like pick of the litter, some out of box just shoot above average and well some less than stellar groups LOL