HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scent Suppressors Do Expire
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 05:17 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

IMO people may think a little wrongly about scent and Deer. Deer are smelling a million scents all at once, the ones that spook them are the ones they associate with danger and maybe new unfamiliar scents to a degree.

A large portion of their brain is dedicated to smell. Most all of us have seen a Deer bypass nearby forage to eat something seemingly at random and without reason. The reason is they smell needed nutrients at a molecular level and zero in on the forage that satisfies deficiencies. Much of what a Deer smells with humans is the byproducts of bacteria feeding on your body, average is about four pounds (guesstimate as it varies) of your body weight is bacteria. IMO you are never going to be scent free.

I associate a Deer nose to that of a Bloodhounds. And as one trainer of Bloodhounds said to me; that kind of put the whole thing into perspective, was that a Bloodhound can smell a single turd in a cesspool. I believe him, I've seen his dogs follow a single trail half a day after it was laid.

Cover scents can work, I've used them. Usually something that overpowers my scent. But you have to ask yourself if the new scent might not spook them or if they won't eventually make the association between the new scent and danger? I doubt if anything is going to stop your body from producing the byproducts of Bacteria feeding on it and your body killing off the bacteria.