HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 300 Win Mag Bullet Grain For Deer
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 11:23 AM
hardcastonly
Super Moderator

yes a bench rest is a great place to sight in your rifle and get it to print a consistent small group, impacting 2"-3" above the cross hairs,aim point,
at 100 yards and to verify what bullet design potentially produces the best and most consistent groups, once youve found the best ammo, and regulated the rifle to place the shots ,
where you want them, you should spend the vast majority of your time learning the skills required to approach bench rest accuracy from the rapidly acquired field positions

heres my 340 wby sighted in at 3" at 100 yards and again at 3.5" at 100 yards
what rifle or caliber you prefer is less important than having the skill and confidence in its use and experience to accurately and consistently place shots as you intend too from field positions , personally I prefer a 250 grain 338 diameter bullet, but I doubt my results would have changed if Id used a 150 grain 270, win or a 200 grain 300 mag.
my late hunting partner preferred a 250 grain bullet in a 358 win BLR, he used a similar sight in method and had excellent results as well.
its not the equipment selected (within reasonable limits of course, )as much as the confidence and skill of the rifleman using it)
Ive sighted in 3.5" high and you can basically ignore worrying about trajectory issues where I hunt because its been decades since Ive seen an elk under hunt conditions past 300 yards
http://www.shooterscalculator.com/balli ... t=f630255c

3" high

3.5" high

you simply sight in at 100 yards off the bench on the yellow dot and have all the shots print over the smaller red dot,when you get out in the field, hold where the light green dot is it will produce a fatal wound out a bit past 300 yards, you sure don,t have to use this method or even agree but I can assure you its resulted in a bunch of dead elk

Last edited by hardcastonly; 09-20-2018 at 11:40 AM.