Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
300 Win Mag Bullet Grain For Deer >

300 Win Mag Bullet Grain For Deer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

300 Win Mag Bullet Grain For Deer

Old 08-30-2021, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a 180gr Nosler Accubond out of my 300WM. Have hunted elk and moose with it, but have also killed Mulies and Whitetail with it.

The high shoulder shot will kill quickly, but it’s a risky shot that leaves little margin for error. Most are better off with the double lung shot.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:33 PM
Spike

Hey Rob , I'm a little margin for Error Guy ~ So I tend to Teach that way as well ( that IS the Shot I do and I do it with Accubonds 90% of the time .

I grew up learning from Several Generations of Very Adept Meat hunters ( actually back to the 2nd boat arriving - behind Mayflower) U See - We Love Heart Stroganoff , Liver and fresh Ribs from Deer , Lope, Elk, Shiras + Caribou . we dont do Well with blood bags and such HANGING around the waste no meat Areas of the Animal. Good Shooting ~ Kenstix
Old 08-31-2021, 04:28 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know about ballistics and all the fancy stuff connected with guns and ammo. I have had a 300 Win Mag for maybe 30 years now that I use it to hunt deer in WV and VA. All of my shots are less than 100 yds. Yes, it is overkill but I like the rifle and it's accuracy. I have tried several bullets from Winchester, Remington, and Federal and all shot well, all 180gr. I have settled on the Federal Premium 180gr. for thin skinned animals such as deer. This bullet does not destroy meat as some of the others did, esp. the Winchester bullet I tried. I am just a hunter, hope this helps some.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bpd1982
My favorite bullets from a 300 SAUM and a 300 RUM are 150 TTSX or Etip from the SAUM and 168 Etip or 180 Etip from the RUM. These are great bullets and are not greatly destructive but kill well. Bonded bullets would be my other choice out of a large Magnum.
This is very good advice.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any bullet weighing 150 gr and higher fired from a 300 Win Mag will kill any deer that has ever walked. Find one that shoots well in your rifle and go deer hunting.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:20 PM
Spike

Always used 150 gr for deer. And nobody EVER tagged my deer. Good choice!!!
Old 11-08-2021, 11:43 AM
Spike

I used my 300 Win Mag on deer a bit when I first got it. I found 150 grain bullets, mostly Remington corelokts to be pretty messy when they dumped energy on a medium sized deer especially under 150 yards.. I moved on to various 180 grain bullets and still got awesome fast kills just not as much damage.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 300WM would definitely work but seems like a bit of overkill for deer. If it's what you have, use what you got. If it's what you want to use, then use it. But if somebody is getting into deer hunting and wants to buy a rifle, I can think of a lot of smaller calibers that would get the job done.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:48 PM
Spike

I used a .300 win mag for deer for many years, not because I was a big macho MAN, but because I only owned one gun and it had to work for deer or anything larger.