HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - locating birds "my style"
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 07:18 AM
Erno86
Nontypical Buck

I heard a blood curdling scream might work...something like the mating call of a red fox or a screech owl. I've had shock gobbling success while using my peacock or pileated woodpecker calls; though I have to plug my ears with my fingers while I use them. Generally...I barred owl hoot by only using my mouth. My wooden crow call has the best tone --- Call like a angry, growling crow (you want to hum from you're vocal cords while calling), that has just discovered a hawk or an owl: caaaaaaaw...CAW!!! CAW!!! CAW!!! (It is a rallying cry for crows)--- Stop (you'll want to keep the crow calling sequence short)...so you can listen intently for a possible shock gobble --- Though, try to keep hidden from the incoming crows, so they don't give off an alarm call in case they see you.

Sometimes a goose call works...but not always (same goes for the rest). I also sometimes use my plastic hawk call in combination with my crow call. Just after an airplane or helicopter flies overhead...listen for a possible shock gobble.

Last edited by Erno86; 09-10-2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling