Specific Turkey Tips and Tactics How to's from cooking turkeys to conditioning calls, this forum holds it all.

locating birds "my style"

Old 04-11-2017, 04:11 AM
Fork Horn

I also wasted money on a crow call . I also hear real owls and no response then saw a gobbler , go figure . The birds are where I'm not . Starting to feel like their winning . God luck and thanks for the tip ,may have to try the air horn at the grasslands .thanks very kindly
Old 06-09-2018, 10:55 AM
Spike

A crow call works better. Don't think of other option
Old 09-10-2018, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I heard a blood curdling scream might work...something like the mating call of a red fox or a screech owl. I've had shock gobbling success while using my peacock or pileated woodpecker calls; though I have to plug my ears with my fingers while I use them. Generally...I barred owl hoot by only using my mouth. My wooden crow call has the best tone --- Call like a angry, growling crow (you want to hum from you're vocal cords while calling), that has just discovered a hawk or an owl: caaaaaaaw...CAW!!! CAW!!! CAW!!! (It is a rallying cry for crows)--- Stop (you'll want to keep the crow calling sequence short)...so you can listen intently for a possible shock gobble --- Though, try to keep hidden from the incoming crows, so they don't give off an alarm call in case they see you.

Sometimes a goose call works...but not always (same goes for the rest). I also sometimes use my plastic hawk call in combination with my crow call. Just after an airplane or helicopter flies overhead...listen for a possible shock gobble.

Last edited by Erno86; 09-10-2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-12-2018, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Ive heard toms gobble at all kinds of distant sounds from train whistles, car doors slamming, someone hammering on a piece of tin, owl hooters, crow calls etc etc etc. Whatever works is what I say. Although I wouldn't go into the woods when I was hunting using a train whistle, air horn, slamming car doors or hammering on a piece of tin. Scout them before hand and know where they are.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want a first hand experience in shock gobbling....ask a turkey raising farmer too see his penned gobbler flock. You'll hear that they will shock gobble to almost any sound. But be careful not to have any young kids sneak into the turkey pen, because the turkeys might peck them to death --- which happened in Maryland to a small infant that crawled into a turkey pen --- about 50 years ago. (I'm 67 years old)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some "roadside gobblers" are close enough to hear a car door slam, but their usually the ones that get shot at the first.