HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best suppressed cartridge for deer?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Sub-Sonics tend to suck for hunting, no two ways about that. Even shooting 458socom with super heavies, you just aren’t talking about a very impressive impact.

Super-sonic rounds with a can are typically still over the “immediate damage” level, but having shot suppressors for the last 15yrs and having substantial hearing damage from shooting unsuppressed rifles without hearing protection, I can say I don’t even experience ringing in my ears (above my normal all-day-every-day tinnitus) after shooting suppressed without ear pro. Like most shooting, the shooter gets the least blast vs. someone to their sides. So personally, knowing I’m about 125-135dB behind my suppressed rifles, I don’t wear any in-or-on-ear hearing protection when I shoot with my cans.

For my son and any kid I’m instructing, I do use in-or-on-ear hearing protection, ALWAYS with electronic interruption solutions to ensure the kid can hear me. I have often shot with my son with the cans, pointing out the cans as the means of hearing protection - and always being mindful to keep him well behind the muzzle, rather than getting too far to either side.

I’ve gone down the sub-sonic, suppressed route for hunting, it’s a losing game. Larger caliber, smaller case, lower muzzle pressure (Fast burning pistol powders) are the best route - meaning 400-500grn 458socom, 220grn 300blk, etc. Then you get to watch the game run off and track it. It’s MARGINALLY better to shoot a deer with a 500grn subsonic 458socom than a 1911 with 230’s, in terms of anchoring speed. Alternatively, a few shots hunting each season (or a few dozen in the case of predator calling) with a suppressed 300win mag still isn’t enough to really do much damage (mine doesn’t ring my ears).

The day any firearm combination rings my ears - hearing protection or not, I add hearing protection before shooting it again. I’m particular about protecting what I have left, and the volume - and potential damage - for shooting suppressed supersonic without in-or-on-ear protection isn’t sufficient for me to bother.