Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Best suppressed cartridge for deer? >

Best suppressed cartridge for deer?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best suppressed cartridge for deer?

Old 09-03-2018, 08:57 PM
Spike

Default Best suppressed cartridge for deer?

I am wanting to start deer hunting suppressed; preferably subsonic. The best cartridge I can find that may fit the bill is the 458 SOCOM. Any other ideas?
Old 09-03-2018, 10:21 PM
Spike

I've seen some videos on YouTube of guys using ARs chambered in 300 blackout to great effect.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

when you go sub sonic, you really start to loose a bunch of energy and distance for safe human kills IMO
most times I read about folks wnating to do this I THINK of folks wanting to poach at night and get away with things, over the actual desire to hunt with a sub sonic rifle?
its HUNTING< guns are involved, the key IMO should be making quick clean kills and not trying to be super silent at killing, if this is the desire, maybe get a crossbow and stick to its limits on distances or a bow and have a longer season to boot!

and I SOLD class 3 weapons and silencers for a LONG time not against them at all, but there is a pivot point on things when I read posts like this, and NOT accusing you here of this, just saying what has been MY experience with these subjects!

to answer your question, the 458 socom will surely kill a deer at close range, but I would be wanting to take heads shots with ANY sub sonic caliber you plan to use and be under 50 yards or MUCH closer when doing so!
sub sonic loads are going SLOW and drop way faster and have WAY less energy

Last edited by mrbb; 09-04-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

If possible,please explain why you want to hunt with subsonic cartridges? Close to residential? Trespassing?
Old 09-04-2018, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

Reason? How about our hearing. One of these days I will get a suppressor. If I were to build a new rifle, it would be threaded.

some of us are hunting deer at 25 yards. No, I don't think a bow is s good substitute if I can legally use a gun.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rogerstv
If possible,please explain why you want to hunt with subsonic cartridges? Close to residential? Trespassing?
if I was him and you were making these accusations, I would tell you to go bleep yourself.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

subsonic supressed deer hunting? hmmm probably not.

super sonic supressed deer hunting and legal? maybe the .308
Old 09-04-2018, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

Berserker, you may want to learn a bit about sub sonic ammo and using suppressors before you shoot your mouth off. He was asking about sub sonic ammo along with a suppressor. Bad idea for hunting. As far as hearing protection goes, a suppressor with super sonic ammo falls in short of doing hearing damage. It's the gasses from firing that are making the largest noise from a rifle. They are hitting super sonic at a much greater volume so they are louder than the bullet reaching super sonic and that is what a suppressor muffles. Using sub sonic ammo is in no way needed for hunting purposes unless one is truly trying to get away with something and yes a bow or crossbow would actually be a better choice than sub sonic ammo due to the extremely low energy from sub sonic.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

Shoot my mouth off? I am not thr one calling a guy a tresspasser and poacher.

one could explain various speeds and energy levels before insulting a guy.

also need to realize many people gun hunt at bow range. I hunt heat bush. I had shot deer at 15 yards. 30 is common. I should think about hearing protection when I shoot.

I also think would be fun tho do more target shooting without muffs. Also be nice to dispatch varmits. You ever shoot bigger than 22 out the window it is loud.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

I will say I am not knowledgeable of subject. I don't really think this thread taught me all that much either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.