HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Will deer travel on a peninsula?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 01:00 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

No real reason for Deer to move around much unless they run out of browse or need necessary trace elements they aren't getting in the local diet. Or they are motivated during the rut.

I have one spot where the Creek/small river makes a loop with a cliff on the open end of the loop, basically a peninsula. It is Moor with one strip of brush running down the middle. Or in other words not a lot of cover. One to three Doe hang out there all year. Bucks swim the Creek/river during the rut. They rub on the opposite side of the Creek, outside the peninsula when the Rut is near and swim across when the scent of love gets strong enough. That scent carries a long ways. I've seen Bucks making a Bee line to a Doe in Estrus from over a mile away.

If you hunt during the rut it might be a good place to try some Doe in Estrus scent and/or a Doe bleat. The Doe sometimes bleat when they come in Estrus calling to any Buck in the neighborhood.

In fact if it were me and there was a Doe on that peninsula I'd avoid shooting her and you may have multiple tries on a Buck or three.

A mineral lick might also be a good idea. One reason Deer move around is they need minerals and few places have everything they need in the local browse.

Just some ideas.