HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best All Around Caliber and Rifle for Deer/Elk/Moose
Old 08-09-2018, 05:36 AM
hardcastonly
Super Moderator

we all find favorites, youll have to find what works best for you!
and every choice is a compromise, the areas of or in rifle weight, flat trajectory, acceptable recoil, useful, bullet mass and potential impact energy and penetration.
from what Ive seen Id suggest the 270 win with a premium 150 gain bullet, or a 30/06 with a 180 grain makes a dependable choice, especially if recoils an issue.
everyone will compromise in some area and prefer some features more than others, and find what they are comfortable using.
if your looking for a reasonable compromise in rifle weight and recoil yet still having a rifle that works rather well on both deer and elk.
personally I am very willing to carry a bit more rifle weight, and accept a significantly increased level of recoil and I prefer the 340 wby & 375 H&H,
yes Im very well aware I'm in the minority, but no one I hunt with disputes the results,
I have total confidence in the rifles based on decades of almost exclusively, one shot kills.
their objections to owning one are always, centered on ammo and rifle cost,
on the rifle weight and recoil,
no one disputes the lethality, trajectory or penetration.
my rebuttal, is that if 2 extra lbs of rifle weight, or a bit of extra recoil in a rifle you might shoot only a once or couple times on a hunt,
keeps you from comfortably exploring the next canyon, with some old geezer like me, you probably need to eat better and exercise more often.
and the cost of the rifle amortized over the 45 plus years is negligible, hand-loading puts the ammo price in a reasonable range.
Im now 70 years old slower than I was, but more persistent and far more skilled and knowledgeable,
it may take me longer, to get in and out of the canyons, than it did in my 30s, but I know what I'm doing and where to look, and I can still shoot accurately.
you don,t need the latest, fastest , or flattest trajectory, what you need is simply something your comfortable using,
thats accurate,and penetrates well out to at least 300 yards, and something with a well documented record of success,
certainly a 270,win- up to-338 win or something similar with proper ammo meets that requirements

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-09-2018 at 07:28 PM.