Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Best All Around Caliber and Rifle for Deer/Elk/Moose >

Best All Around Caliber and Rifle for Deer/Elk/Moose

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best All Around Caliber and Rifle for Deer/Elk/Moose

Old 07-30-2018, 11:51 AM
Spike

Question Best All Around Caliber and Rifle for Deer/Elk/Moose

Hi there I am looking for some advice. After several years I just gave my 7mm Browning A-Bolt to my son-in-law. Now I am looking for a new rifle and not sure what I should get. I really loved how true the 7mm shot however, because it was a magnum round it tended to bruise a lot of meat. I am looking for something that give me a cleaner kill but still be effective at 500 and 600 yards. Any suggestions?
Old 08-03-2018, 02:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

You have a 7mm Mag already. You're good to go. If you're worried about bruising of meat then shoot a heavier bullet at a slower speed. Handload your own ammo and you will solve your problem.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Ive never found a thing to need improvement using a 340 WBY mag with 250 -270 grain hornady bullets, with a 4x12x scope
you might want a 27' harris swivel bi-pod if you want to maximize long range potential.
my 375 H&H carbine with a 2x7x leopold scope gets the nod if I want to stalk dark timber in narrow canyons far from road access.
but even a 308 win or 270 win works fine its not power its proper shot placement and using what YOU have 100% confidence in that matters

Ive used a 340 wby and 375 H&H on most ELK HUNTS

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/#!/

but like Flags stated
you have a 7mm mag, youll be fine with a good quality 160-175 grain bullet.
I will point out that in almost 50 years of hunting the number of elk Ive even seen past 300 yards is minimal,
Id bet the average distance all the elk taken by the members of our club over that last 45 years was well under 150 yards.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-03-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

btw the three most popular rifles in our hunt club for elk are the
remingtom 7600 in caliber 35 whelen, or 30/06
the browning BLR in 358 win 308 win,or 450 marlin
and the ruger #1 in 338 win 30/06, or 300 mag
remember the PROJECTILE does all the work, without a good design in any caliber your screwed.
and youll generally want a slow expanding bullet with at least a .260 sectional density and a thick jacket,
for its intended velocity range to maximize penetration.
personally I want exit wounds in a strait line from entrance impact points, for blood trails a blind guy could follow
and decent expansion characteristics, for rapid kills this requires bullet mass to achieve on an ELK.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-03-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

Ditto on what Flags said! My 7mm Rem Mag is my main deer rifle and it has never let me down. I originally wanted a .270 but got such a great deal on the barely used 7mm that I could not pass it up. It is a bit overkill for whitetails but just make sure I shoot behind the shoulder and has never been an issue for me. I would love to try it on Elk one day or take it to Africa for plains game. That cart. came out in 1962 with the intro to the 700, the year I was born, and was the only caliber you could get in that rifle for the first year or so if I remember correctly. Anyway, thats what I would use for what its worth. Good luck regardless what you end up using.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hardcastonly
btw the three most popular rifles in our hunt club for elk are the
remingtom 7600 in caliber 35 whelen, or 30/06
the browning BLR in 358 win 308 win,or 450 marlin
and the ruger #1 in 338 win 30/06, or 300 mag
remember the PROJECTILE does all the work, without a good design in any caliber your screwed.
and youll generally want a slow expanding bullet with at least a .260 sectional density and a thick jacket,
for its intended velocity range to maximize penetration.
personally I want exit wounds in a strait line from entrance impact points, for blood trails a blind guy could follow
and decent expansion characteristics, for rapid kills this requires bullet mass to achieve on an ELK.
Where is your hunt club located? I have a hard time believing the 7600 pump is what most take elk hunting. Here in Montana, bolt actions are the choice of weapon. The inclement weather conditions, reliability are two big factors in this.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

where , is the club, FLORIDA and while it might be a rather big surprise I can,t remember ANY BLR, ruger single shot or 7600 malfunctioning in the last 45 years and I certainly remember
a couple bolt actions having issues , but I have to point out All those issue,s,
I remember were due to improper cold weather prep or lack of proper maintenance,
or not using the correct scope mounts, by owners, bolt action's,
not design flaws, or busted parts.
perhaps the bolt guys just expect the bolt action rifles to function , not giving it much thought,
and the other design,s in theory being though of as more prone to problems get looked over more carefully, before trips
I know most of the older guys have learned to carefully clean and de-grease the rifles and use moly spray for the internal action lube as its impervious to freezing.
most of the guys I hunt with are not all that concerned with shooting over 300 yards simply because experience hunting the black timber and narrow canyons aspen
and oak brush, conifers has taught most of us shots over 300 yards have been nearly non-existent
Ive generally used a SAKO or WBY Mark V but I'm in the MINORITY

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-03-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

If your saying the Remington 7600 is more reliable then most bolts, I disagree. I have lots and lots of friends who hunt Montana, I can not honestly say I do not know any of them that their go to gun is a pump. Reliability, accuracy, bolts win hands down.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

not more reliable, simply reliable enough that many guys familiar with their use for many years have found them to be their go to rifle.
over the last 50 years i,VE OCCASIONALLY I've used a BLR
, a MARLIN 45/70, a 7600 pump in 30/06 and 35 whelen, and the,
REM 700, SAKO and WBY bolt guns and a browning 78 falling block, they all work.
i THINK GUYS SPEND FAR TOO MUCH TIME WORRyING ABOUT THE RIFLE OR CARTRIDGE ,
BECAUSE ITS SOMETHING EASY TO VISUALIZE AND HOLD AND LOOK AT,
WHILE STUDYING TOPO MAPS , researching elk habits
,AND GETTING INTO PRIME PHYSICAL CONDITION,
is without doubt,
FAR MORE LIKE work, AND TAKES effort.
its A WHOLE LOT EASIER TO SHOW ONE OF YOUR BUDDIES A NEW RIFLE , OR NEW SCOPE!
THAN TOO CONVINCE THEM THAT PUTTING ON A BACK PACK WITH 60 LBS OF SAND IN IT AND, JOINING YOU EVERY DAY AFTER WORK, ,
RUNNING THE LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL STADIUMS STAIRS FOR 45 MINUTES ,
AND HAVING GOOD BOOTS, AND STUDYING THOSE TOPO MAPS, IS GOING TO BE USEFUL

OR PUTTING IN THAT EXTRA EFFORT IS GOING TO HELP YOU SUCCEED ON AN UP-COMING HUNTING TRIP.
AND WHEN YOU DO AND YOUR SUCCESSFUL THEY PUT IT DOWN TO LUCK!
I doubt anyone's success rate would falter if they were forced to use a ruger #1 or BROWNING BLR, in 270 or 30/06 with a decent Nikon or Leopold 3x-9x scope vs what ever they currently use.
how many times have you got up and been miles into the country leaving a friend sleeping in camp, or walked back to camp in the dark, and found your less successful friend has been back in camp for hours
yet in their mind, if you tend to connect on a good ELK, .... its YOUR JUST LUCKY!
I would have little problem if I had a 257 roberts or a 458 win, in the area I've hunted for decades shots rarely exceed 250 yards
yes I certainly have favorite rifles ,but the equipment or caliber is not nearly as critical as finding an elk and getting into easy range to make the shot.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-03-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

I am not questioning the ruger or browning guns, why you can not figure that out, I do not know. It is the statement about the Remington pumps that makes little since to me. From your last post, it looks like you are trying to convince someone.....just wondering if it is me or YOU? I have been plenty successful here in Montana with both deer and elk, but don't have the need to crow about it as you seem to. Like I said before, I do not see 7600's here in Montana in peoples pickups or out in the field, I guess when you can have rain, snow, sleet, hail, dust, wind, frigid temps...all in the same day, you want a firearm that will not fail, for many that eliminates the Remington 7600. Perhaps if your hunting little whitetails or piggies in Florida you do not worry so much about it, up here we know are weapons, and the conditions they must perform. I have only hunted for over 40 years, pretty sure I could handle myself up against any flatlander from Florida.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.