HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2017-2018 Picture Post
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 07:35 AM
Krizia829
Spike

Default My first GA Buck!

I will be 27 in August, been hunting since I was 10. I live in South FL but started hunting with dogs in Alabama. Shot my first deer at 11 with a single shot .410, hunted AL until I was about 18. After meeting my now husband, I went on to hunt GA. I don't get to hunt as much as the guys do in our group unfortunately, so going at least once or twice a year is a lot for me! I always end up with does or nothing at all.. During the 2017-2018 season I was unfortunately not able to hunt. I had a baby April of 2017 and had to stay back and sacrifice a season to be with my baby girl. I'd like to share the story of my 2016 GA Buck I harvested while pregnant which is also my first GA buck!

So the morning of November 8th, 2016 I didn't know what stand to hunt on our 512 Acre lease in Montgomery Co, GA as I was bummed out that I couldn't find a big doe I shot at previously. My husband tells me to hunt a stand that we call Canopy which he had seen 2 nice bucks earlier that same week. I was pregnant, exhausted, nauseous and didn't feel like walking too far. This stand is about 100 yards from the main road. I get to the stand around 6 am and settle in and close my eyes for a bit until shooting light came. I knew it was prime time so I sat ready with my rifle waiting for big boy to come out, or his girlfriend. After a while, and sitting there freezing, I got my phone out and started to play a billiards game on my phone. At about 7:45 am, I pause the game and quietly stretch out as my back and neck were hurting. What do I see coming straight to me about 75 yards? A deer! All I can think to myself is "Oh crap!! so I quietly stick my phone in my orange vest pocket and get my rifle ready. I look through my scope and I see antlers! So my heart starts pounding and I can barely breathe. Fogging up my scope, I zoom in a bit and count 8 points. (Legally, it has to have 4 points on one side in Montgomery Co.). I'm thinking yes!! I took the safety off and followed the buck until he reached an opening and turned broadside. After about a minute or two, he finally gave me a clear shot, BOOM! Dropped him! He fell on his butt but somehow got back up and was stumbling all over the place. I saw that he was heading toward a heavily brushed area and I said nope! I pick up my rifle from the shooting rail and shot him again, this time free hand and dropped him again. I can see he's down and out so I whip out my phone, shaking like crazy I take a picture through the scope and texted all the guys in our lease the picture and wrote "BBD!!" All I could do is sit there and just keep thanking God for that opportunity and I thanked my husband for guiding me on where to hunt that day and my baby in my belly for good luck. I waited until about 10 am for my dad and husband to show up to make sure I climb down the ladder stand safely (again, I was 4 months pregnant) and track my buck. After a short walk, there he was! My first nice GA buck! I couldn't be happier holding his antlers! It is not a giant but it's a trophy to me! He is now hanging on our wall with our other great bucks! I have a clip on youtube showing that trip and when I get to him (search SouthernHuntress829 Video is called Georgia Deer Hunting 2016)! I used my Remington 700 SPS .30-06 with a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50 Scope and Hornady Superformance 150gr bullets.!
Attached Images