HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 1 The Rejects
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 06:31 AM
Strut&Rut
Nontypical Buck

Hey Jake -

Just a word of advice - if you're shooting the bird to eat for Thanksgiving I recommend you still try to shoot a tom, a jake or even a young poult. It's almost impossible to determine the age of a hen, and older ones are downright quite stringy and tough (pretty much crockpot or jerky birds).

Also, I know you're a relatively newbie to turkey hunting - but realize that most hens have a different fall range, or I should say - move to a different part of their range during the fall.

In the late spring the hens tend to nest next to known summer food sources, typically those areas that have easily accessible water, good dusting areas (for mites), adequate cover and a large population of insects. You often see hens nesting on field edges because the fields provide adequate cover and they're full of grasshoppers and other bugs (fireflies, etc.) - the protein-rich bugs help the poults grow fast.

As summer ends, the bugs start declining and in most regions (especially the Northeast and Midwest) the hens lead the older poults to fruit-and mast-producing areas of the woods to start eating fruits and nuts. They also obviously start moving to croplands, and hit these heavy immediately after harvest - but these are short-lived resources.

Older poults also mean birds capable of flight, so the hens start moving to areas with large roost trees to house their entire brood. In essence, where you see them now is often nowhere near where'll you'll find them October thru March...

S&R