HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Season Goals?
Thread: Season Goals?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 05:48 PM
Central PA Sportsman
Spike

Goals are great, congrat's on last years success.
I got my PA long beard with a late 1800's double barrel 16 gauge hammer gun (black powder shells, not muzzleloader). It was cool. Bird came by me early but didn't like the set up and went up around me. I had almost given up, then a few hours later he returned. Came in behind me to within 5 yd's of my tree. He turned heading west, when I thought he was clear I jumped and spun, he was 25 yd's away just on the away side of a downed log. His head came up at the noise I created, he was looking south and I let him have it. As the smoke cleared he was mine. Can't wait to use that gun again this Spring.
Almost as exciting as shooting that turkey was the whole gun set-up and testing experience. I bought the gun at an auction. My smith and I cleaned and checked it out but he said he wouldn't recommend shooting it (his professional opinion, didn't want to assume responsibility if barrel blew up in my face) even though it looked as though it had been recently fired "damascus steel". After some convincing he said NO regular shells not even low brass. We did some online research and found an old guy who makes black powder hand loads ( I believe we bought 2 boxes at $20 each (25 shells per box). After receiving the shells we test fired the gun (each barrel, one full and one modified) several times. Tied gun to an old tire with barrels tied off to cinder block weights to keep gun from jumping. Used string tied to trigger as we pulled from behind the shed, talk about excitement. What a blast!