HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - complete newbie
Thread: complete newbie
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 01:11 PM
hunters_life
Typical Buck

Funny Wingbone, after learning this reloading stuff 45 or so years ago, I still find use for my bullet puller on occasion as well. You surely don't have to be a rookie to screw up. I can attest to that with complete confidence.

As Ridge Runner said, this is a very long list as well as an expensive one for some people. Good reloading books should be number one on your list. Speer has some excellent manuals that not only give you the loads but also has some that have step by step instructional pages too. Start out with the basics:

stable mounted press
Good set of calipers, these should not be skimped on as they are one of your most important tools.
Good scales, again not to be skimped one as you could lose body parts or your life if they are inaccurate.
Case trimmer
Prime/deprime tool
Primer pocket cleaner
Lube/lube pad
Properly matched dies/seaters
Properly matched cartridge holders
You can get away without a powder dispenser but they are nice to have.

As far as cleaning your brass, one can get by with just a brush and cleaning them out to start with but most of us usually get into some sort of cleaner system such as a good media vibrating cleaner.

My advise for beginners and experts alike is to adhere to strict inventory controls and only load one cartridge type and powder at a time so you have no confusion ending up using the wrong powder in a cartridge which could result in injury or death. Always pay close attention to what you are doing at all times. Reloading is a very good way to get the most out of your rifle but it can get a little monotonous so it can get easy to lose focus. Take several breaks to clear your attention span. My little sister is probably the best long range shooter in our family and, like the rest of us, she was taught to reload before really getting into the shooting. Problem is, she has the attention span of a gnat on crack when it comes to long reloading sessions so I reload for her as well. Here eyes start to glaze over after about 30 rounds and her mind travels anywhere but where she is.