HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Season is over, what are you going to change
Old 12-22-2017, 11:28 AM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

With two kids now I don't spend much time archery hunting. The days of 60 stand sits a year are over for the foreseeable future.

I keep a ladder stand set up on a small chunk of woods behind my parents place. It's easy to maintain my shooting lanes, and I can slip in their quickly for a hunt.

I think I went out with the bow three times this year. And took one with a .45-70 out of that stand during Ohio's extended gun season. My other stands are all in storage for the time being, except my climbing stand that's still in the garage ready to go.

Next year my Boy will be turning six. So I will have him out a few times in the archery stand. Maybe we'll get lucky. Most of my hunting time with him will be devoted to squirrel though. It'll keep him entertained as well as begin teaching him the skills he will need and the gun safety he'll need.

Prior to having kids I had bought a recurve and began practicing and set my sights on taking a deer with the traditional gear. I only shot it a few times this past year. So, I suppose my goal for next year will be to just shoot that more often and hone my skills so that when I do have time to begin chasing deer with a bow again, I'll be ready to use the traditional stuff.

-Jake