HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 16ga, 20ga, or 28ga shotgun for geese?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

I think before you buy a recoil pad you should shoot a couple of shotguns of different actions to see if you really mind the recoil. A gas operated semi will reduce recoil where a pump or double barrel will not. There are recoil pads that work very well but again shoot a pump and a gas operated semi and see if you do the difference. There are also things that can be put inside the buttstock of a shotgun to reduce recoil but they are a bit expensive. I really recommend you try a few shotguns before you buy so you don't have regrets later. So far as decoys and a dog, unless you want to pass shoot which I would not recommend for a novice I suggest you buy at least a dozen shell decoys or full body, shells are less expensive, you could also throw in some silhouette decoys or make them. So far as a dog, if you are going to field hunt for geese while it is nice to have a retriever it isn't necessary and it will be just one more thing you have to worry about. If you are hunting water and have a boat, I would give the same advice. Then later on when you know what you are doing get a dog so you are not trying to learn everything at once. Start in stages, learn one thing well, then move to something else. Waterfowling is expensive if you try to buy all the equipment at once it will cost a while lot of money and if you find you don't like to hunt waterfowl you will have spent the money for nothing. At some point you will want to learn how to call, bit to start I recommend just hunt over the decoys and leave the call at home til you learn how to use it. Bad calling will not help you and I have see it chase birds away. Join Ducks Unlimited and try to get on a committee, you will meet lots of die hard waterfowlers who will be happy to help you.