HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2017-2018 Picture Post
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 02:45 PM
rockport
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Two of them. One is about as heavy in mass and body, but not quite, as the one I took, pretty typical 11pt. The other is the eldest living of a "tall rack" bloodline we've had for about 8yrs on this property. I expect he's the one who broke this dude, his rack is really high, narrow, and shallow, with bases that look about as big as my elbow. I'll see about getting a pic of him posted - or maybe my wife will get lucky and tag him before the end of archery season.

The battles have been brutal out there this year, I've never had so many bucks on camera with broken tines and antlers. I have a 3yr old 8pt with an entire antler broken off, then this guy breaking an antler in half... I run cattle right next door with a mineral tank, and run mineral blocks all year long to get deer in front of the camera, and I've never had any deficiencies out there, so it has to be a function of big boys banging into each other.
I'm sure it is. Ive had a couple bucks over the years that would break the other local bucks up pretty good. Huge dominant bucks with thick compact antlers. The worst two were only 145" inches or so. I finally got one killed and got one of my hunters on the other. They were both very hard to kill.