HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Field dressing
Thread: Field dressing
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 09:06 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

One thing I do I didn't see mentioned is, I make a cut, lengthwise on the bottom of the neck, cut the esophagus and make a knot in it (or tie it off with a string), then cut the trachea. You can then reach way up inside the rib cage (after spilling the guts) and grab the esophagus/trachea and pull, where the frontal body organs hang up, cut when necessary. If you pull hard most of it comes out and very little cutting is necessary.

The shape of your knife tip is important, a drop point or semi drop point works better IMO, less chance of nicking the guts.

Always nice to have enough water with you to wash up afterwords or to wash off your meat in case the bladder ruptures etc.

When you are digging around in there, mostly by feel, be careful of rib bone splinters.

Every time anybody mentions gutting, I get this mental picture of my five year old son half inside the body cavity of a large Hog trying to get the heart/lungs out. He was a mess, but it makes me laugh every time I think about it. I remember thinking at the time either I was going to put him inside a garbage bag or make him ride home with the Hog in the back of truck.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 11-16-2017 at 09:17 PM.