Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Field dressing

Old 11-09-2017, 11:09 PM
Spike

Default Field dressing

I am relatively new to hunting, and have only shot one deer so far. I had alot of help field dressing it from my hunting buddy. I was wondering if there is a good how to video showing the process that someone can recommend? I have watched quite a few youtube videos but just looking for maybe a recommended technique. I am looking into gambrel vs on the ground.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:11 AM
Spike

I attempted to link a video, but failed. Maybe I need more posts

Last edited by mikescooling; 11-10-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

I can't link a video from this computer. But if you search "field dressing deer" on youtube you will find lots of good (And bad) videos.

-Jake
Old 11-10-2017, 03:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Field dressing denotes you do it in the field where the deer fell. I have never known anyone to carry a gambrel with them while hunting and haul a deer up into a tree to field dress it. That would be more trouble than it is worth.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Field dressing denotes you do it in the field where the deer fell. I have never known anyone to carry a gambrel with them while hunting and haul a deer up into a tree to field dress it. That would be more trouble than it is worth.
Still happy as ever I see, maybe a little lonely.
He never said anything about carrying a gambrel into the woods.
Some hunters and even some public lands/ wmas prefer to field dress or gut a deer at the check station. ( they have designated guy piles)
The way I learned was doing it with someone that has done it before: Or watching someone clean a deer.
If you are near a decent public land area, you can go by the check station and watch a few be cleaned. Especially opening weekend.

Videos are a good starting point and will help you, but nothing like doing it yourself or watching someone that has done it many times.

Good luck and be safe.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

I've actuary done field dressing with both methods of field dressing although the gambrel method was done at a buddy's garage near the hunt. Both have pro's and con's but I found it much easier to field dress on the ground in the field. It cools the animal down quicker, doesn't make a mess in the garage and is less weight to lift into the truck.

If you liked your buddy's method a lot, you could always video the next one and have him explain it in detail as he goes.

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-10-2017 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-10-2017, 08:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah born again, I am very happy and never lonely and I can read as well. This is from the op. "looking into gambrel vs on the ground". And the title of the op is "field dressing". Nice "born again" post by the way. If you want to call yourself born again, you should probably act the part.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was told a long time ago by a well seasoned Missouri hunter that you watch your first deer being field dressed and do the rest yourself. You will make mistakes as you go such as puncturing the stomach or intestines and hacking the tender loins. Just do better the next time.

After venturing out west this year, I now realize hunters vary greatly in their game processing from field to table. The latest fad being removing skinned, quartered meat from the field. Game laws, animal size, and vehicular access can certainly dictate the method.

I witnessed a group from Michigan who flew to Wyoming fully butcher, grind, and vacuum seal their meat at camp. I never asked how they got the equipment from Michigan to the camp. Seemed like way too much work at camp. I prefer to quarter, bone, and bag then take care of meat at home. To each his own !!!

Last edited by rogerstv; 11-10-2017 at 08:54 AM. Reason: add wording
Old 11-10-2017, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

A gambrel would hang the deer head-down. The heart and lungs would be trapped in the rib cage and would need to be lifted out. If you hung the deer from the head and front legs, everything would fall out. I've done this once. I just gut my deer on the ground. If there is a slight hill/mound close by, I will drag it there so the back of the deer is lower than the front.

I was literally taught how to gut a deer by a surgeon. He did a very precise job.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I can find two trees growing in a V and they are close enough I will put the deer's neck in the V to give it some rise at the front. Sice I start my cut below the breast bone it works very well and helps to prevent poking into the gut.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.