HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hog hunting with glow in the dark iron sights?
Old 07-15-2017, 03:59 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

People say Hogs see poorly. I doubt it, my thinking is they see better in the dark than you do, maybe they see in another light spectrum? Maybe farther into the UV than we do?

My reasoning is I've seen them panic and take off through a dark forest at a full run and not bump into trees and/or stumble over fallen branches. I couldn't do what they do.

I've also had them look right at me from over a hundred yards on a dark night. Maybe I made a slight sound, maybe they scented me, maybe they see better than people think, at least at night. Their ears and nose are exceptional, their eyesight is IMO better than advertised.

A little off topic, but I've set up cleared spots with regular food, not a feeder they are illegal here. I spread straw on the ground and shoot from a high seat. The light straw and dark Hogs made enough contrast that I could shoot in starlight with no Moon out to fifty yards or more.

I also night hunt in Hay fields that are freshly mowed, the light green is enough contrast to see Fox, Yotes or Hogs. The scent of the Rodents chopped up by the mower draws a lot of animals.

I think like many animals Hogs get spooked by motion mostly. But they are smart, the old Sows learn quick. I've seen them weave a path as far as possible from all of our high seats.

Just opinion the glow form a sight is unlikely to be nearly the factor as sound, scent and movement is.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 07-15-2017 at 04:02 PM.