HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First attempt at Semisane's no-till food plot method
Old 06-25-2017, 10:01 AM
TN Lone Wolf
Typical Buck

Sorry for the late update. I've been really busy as of late.

I went out to check on the plot last weekend. There were quite a few lablab plants visible. . . :

. . . as well as some sunflowers. . . :

. . .but unfortunately, well. . .:

That's not exactly what I intended when I planted the plot. I saw some grasses emerging the last time I visited, but I didn't realize how much of it was about to come up. Something else disappointing I noticed was how sparse the lablab and sunflowers were. I probably should have put down at least twice as much seed as I did.

I'm going to go ahead and call it: this plot wasn't a success. However, I refuse to call it a failure either. I did get some tender vegetation for the deer to feed on, and I've already seen a doe and a fawn frequenting the plot.

In spite of how this attempt turned out, I'm going to try again in the fall, with some slight modifications. I'm going to go with a mix of cereal grains, clovers, and winter peas all seeded about twice the recommended rate. Hopefully that will ensure enough of them get established to ensure a good plot. Also, in the fall, I hope the grasses won't be much of an issue.