HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting coyotes with a boomerang
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 09:19 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Seems you are thinking defense and likely planning on being marginally armed.

The only way to accomplish much is to get serious about it and go on the offense. Get a good map of your area. Scout after a rain and find footprints, mark your map (I use Google Maps and print them out). If your lucky you may find a scat pile they use as a territory marker. When I say scat pile, it may be near a hundred scats (if they have been around for awhile) they usually visit it often.

I try to find their dens. It may be easier than you think, they can really pound down a path to their den when they have pups. Back tracking from a scat pile may lead you right to it.

They often make the rounds, in a suburban area it can be a likely garbage can they visit often.

If you have a dog take it with you, check out whatever it shows interest in. He may find Yote scat for you.

A scoped 22 Mag revolver will take one down out to around 50 yards reliably (if you are good enough). A 22 Mag rifle will double the distance.

People tend to ignore single shots, I've shot a bunch of Fox in a local suburban grave yard, the grave yard is full of rabbits. I trap the Rabbits and sometimes a Fox. Fox like to dig and people were afraid a Fox might dig up a grave. Nobody has complained yet. I'm licensed to shoot there, in years nobody has asked to see my special license or even come to investigate a shot. Full Moon is a good time, around 3 AM.

I think trying to lure them into your yard and using Boomerang is unlikely to be fruitful. At one time I made my own boomerangs and did a good bit of practice. I tried for Crows and Rabbits with little success. A good crossbow is a whole other thing, silent and accurate.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 06-16-2017 at 09:23 PM.