Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Hunting coyotes with a boomerang

Old 06-16-2017, 02:08 PM
Spike

Default Hunting coyotes with a boomerang

Recently coyotes have begun to become a big problem in my area. I live in the city limits so guns are a no go. So my plan is to lure them into my yard so they come on a regular basis. I plan on hunting them with a cold steel boomerang and a knife.

How do I lure them in? Should I use food plots to attract prey animals? They also seem to eat cats.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

That has got to be one of the stupidest things I have ever read. It is hard enough to hunt coyotes with a firearm, to get them close enough to bring them down with a boomerang taxes the imagination. If you dis manage by some stretch of the imagination to hit one with a boomerang, the odds of killing the animal is minimal. It is tantamount to throwing rocks. Whether or not you like an animal, a hunter should have the decency to make sure they impart a clean and painless kill and not make the animal suffer. Hunting them with a knife is even more ridiculous. I suspect you are not nor have you ever been a hunter.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:03 PM
Spike

No you're right. I am a guy who is sick and tired of watching the cats and dogs in his neighborhood getting eaten. I cant just shoot them in town. They have to cross streets to get into my yard. If they are attracted to my yard I could possibly hit them with my truck? Im just looking to get rid of these ****ers.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

welcome to the site, your FIRST thing to look into is,

IS THIS LEGAL TO DO!
as I am guessing its NOT
almost every place I know of(or most any how)
you need a hunting lic to HUNT them, as there considered a GAME animal, and in return, there are LEGAL weapons for hunting them in each state and or season
and I know of NO place where boomerang's are listed as LEGAL hunting weapons in the USA!

SO< before you risk getting a fine or??
contact your game dept and ask if its legal or not??
things like this can get you on TV in a negative way?? small and bigger towns news stations love drama!
Old 06-16-2017, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

in MOST places if your PET is in danger of being KILLED< you can legally KILL a coyote?
IF you have say a CCW permit, you should be legally be able to protect your pet?

IF you HAVE pets or neighbors do!
and have issue's with coyotes killing them, your SUPPOSED to notify the authority's and get them to HELP, they can trap and or?? shoot them
NEXT, if you care about your PET, as I have cared about MINE,
IF there was a worry about them being attacked, I'd have a fence up about my place keeping MY pets safe!, if I couldn;t LEGALLY hunt what is harming them??

breaking the law is never the right option here, nor is just wounding coyotes ??
Old 06-16-2017, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I will not support the OP idea of hunting yotes with a boomerang I find myself obligated to at least point out that boomerangs have been used for hunting for centuries. Including accounts of it being used to hunt kangaroos. Not an quick nor ethical method of take i might add.

Last edited by olsaltydog; 06-16-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems you are thinking defense and likely planning on being marginally armed.

The only way to accomplish much is to get serious about it and go on the offense. Get a good map of your area. Scout after a rain and find footprints, mark your map (I use Google Maps and print them out). If your lucky you may find a scat pile they use as a territory marker. When I say scat pile, it may be near a hundred scats (if they have been around for awhile) they usually visit it often.

I try to find their dens. It may be easier than you think, they can really pound down a path to their den when they have pups. Back tracking from a scat pile may lead you right to it.

They often make the rounds, in a suburban area it can be a likely garbage can they visit often.

If you have a dog take it with you, check out whatever it shows interest in. He may find Yote scat for you.

A scoped 22 Mag revolver will take one down out to around 50 yards reliably (if you are good enough). A 22 Mag rifle will double the distance.

People tend to ignore single shots, I've shot a bunch of Fox in a local suburban grave yard, the grave yard is full of rabbits. I trap the Rabbits and sometimes a Fox. Fox like to dig and people were afraid a Fox might dig up a grave. Nobody has complained yet. I'm licensed to shoot there, in years nobody has asked to see my special license or even come to investigate a shot. Full Moon is a good time, around 3 AM.

I think trying to lure them into your yard and using Boomerang is unlikely to be fruitful. At one time I made my own boomerangs and did a good bit of practice. I tried for Crows and Rabbits with little success. A good crossbow is a whole other thing, silent and accurate.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 06-16-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:57 PM
Fork Horn

I smell a troll. Wonder if I can kill it with a boomarang!
Old 06-17-2017, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tufrthnails
I smell a troll. Wonder if I can kill it with a boomarang!
Could be, but when I was in my teens I'd get interested in an idea and I'd go with it. I made boomerangs, mostly because I was interested in primitive weapons. I also made a throwing stick, spears, spear launchers (spear throwers), slings, Bows and Crossbows.

Next to the crossbow, the spear and spear thrower were the most accurate. Both were deadly.

I was a pitcher in Little league all the way through high school, fed myself on many a camping trip throwing rocks. A 5-6 ounce rock travelling at 70 + MPH will get the job done on small game. Campfire cooked Quail or Rabbit is delicious.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off, for the Moderators (Cal - you reading this?) - can we kick this one to the General small game, trapping, & predator hunting forum? This isn't a good topic to have in the reference sub-forum, as it's 1) most likely a troll, 2) a specific question which doesn't have broad appeal for future reference, and 3) Did I mention it's most likely a troll?...

If a guy could get a coyote close enough then to hold still long enough to kill it with a boomerang and a knife, I'd buy a ticket to that show!

I'm quite certain this is a troll post, but it's entertaining enough that I'll give it a few minutes of consideration. Food plots to attract prey animals to bring coyotes to your yard does not make sense. If you wanted to bait coyotes in your yard, then fine, but the "long con" of attracting mice and rabbits to your yard isn't going to reliably pay back. If you're in an urban area where you can't shoot, then a food plot isn't going to work.

Killing a coyote with a boomerang or a knife (I assume either thrown or stabbed after immobilized with the boomerang) is an incredibly unethical and equally dangerous mode of hunting. With a sharpened boomerang, you're talking about an incredibly inaccurate weapon, so there's no assurance of an ethical, quick kill. Being so close then to use a knife is far too close to be safe, and a scratch or bite by a coyote can lead to infection which might end your life.

All around, this is a terrible idea. If you have a coyote problem in an urban area, there are professional resources, typically free, available to help manage this issue. Second string to that would be trapping.

Boomerang and knife... SMFH...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.