HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Brittanys and patterdales
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 08:38 AM
Huntley
Spike

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
I you've never had a Terrier before be prepared for another sort of dog. Sure there are differences dog to dog but most have some of the same tendencies.

Dogs are basically domesticated animals, genetic selection. Most Terriers are a little less domesticated than most dogs.

Many Terriers aren't particularly sociable, four main tendencies, prey drive, fighting, killing and sex. The male/male, female/female and who is the alpha thing seems stronger in most Terriers. In fact many are born convinced they are an alpha with any other dog or you. Many seem to have no size sense whatsoever. Antidote: We had the task of getting a sounder of Hogs out of a giant Corm field. The Hogs ran a pack of around ten dogs ragged and were still in the Corn. We decided to try Terriers thinking they were smaller and could navigate through the Corn stocks easier. The Terriers left the Corn field, attacked a bull in a pasture, a half dozen latched onto the Bull and refused to let go. The Bull broke through the fence trying to escape and ran through the center of town.

Pound for pound the are impressive. Mine are around 20 lbs. I doubt there is a Fox on the planet that can outfight one, even with a considerable size advantage.

A couple of antidotes. One of mine killed a full grown German Shepard, damaged his throat so bad he died two weeks later.

A friend had one that caused an estimated $1500 of damage to his living room.

A lot of people get a Terrier and give up in short order.
I have heard of things like that. That is why I wanted to get a feel for what they are like and talk to some breeders. It will be probably a few years as I train the dog I have/get him to listen better and get him out hunting on his own before I add another dog to the mix. I also have to save up for one because I want to make sure I am getting a good one form a respected breeder and I am making the right decision. The reason I want a patterdale is that I would like to work it with my Brittany. And use them both for rabbits and squirrel. But I would also like to have the two or three patterdales so I could hunt coon and fox with them. But I would start out with just one and working it on rabbits along with my Brit. Also what kind of terriers do you work/have.

Last edited by Huntley; 05-10-2017 at 08:44 AM.