Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Brittanys and patterdales >

Brittanys and patterdales

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Brittanys and patterdales

Old 05-14-2017, 08:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by gjersy
I had a Patterdale, she was a chainsaw on legs! She was about 22-24lbs and could kill a 35 lb coon. She was the most athletic dog I ever saw, in a hole she wouldn't quit. very human friendly but she developed a problem of being dog aggressive towards some females. I'm sad to say she got loose once when we were gone and killed my 45lb Airedale That was the end of her. Speaking of rats Mudderchuck my boy had 2 pet rats in a cage, well on a cold night i let my Patterdale in the house. She made a line straight upstairs, i thought to play with the kids. Instantly I heard a loud bang and the kids yelling. She tore the top off the rat cage and killed one rat and was going for the other b4 the kids grabbed her, she hated those rats. If you get a Patterdale you got to be training and on them all the time, I trained her not to kill the pet cat but it was a challenge and i would never fully trust her around cats. The 2 breeders i know won't sell them to strangers, they trade them or give them to other hunters they know.
Sounds like they can be a handful but that they also make great hunting dogs. I want to gain a lot more experience hunting and training before I get one. But I would like to get in contact with some breeders so when I feel I am ready for one I can get a hold of them and see if they have any pups available. I would also like to talk to them to see if they could give me ideas on training them for the dogs sake because if I get one I want to make sure that I train it right. And when I get one I want to get it from a respected breeder.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've owned dogs my whole life and I'm 63 now.

Shepard, Beagle, GSP, Brittany, Ridgeback, Redbone - now I have a Ridgeback/Catahoula mix.

However, my Carolina Dog was the best & most versatile hunter I have ever owned.

http://www.carolinadogs.com/
Old 05-14-2017, 02:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I've owned dogs my whole life and I'm 63 now.

Shepard, Beagle, GSP, Brittany, Ridgeback, Redbone - now I have a Ridgeback/Catahoula mix.

However, my Carolina Dog was the best & most versatile hunter I have ever owned.

http://www.carolinadogs.com/
I have looked at them but I didn't know how hard it would be to find them. What did you use them for and do you know where I could possibly get one. And what is your experience with Brittany's
Old 05-14-2017, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback way back in 1984, his name was Bruno, and the Ridgeback was a classic example of why hunt/work dog guys hate for puppy mills to get a hold of a breed, they fail to cull and produce crap.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

just like the Airedale it was a hunting/working dog but got ruined by popularity. However a few of us are bringing the Airedale (redline) breed back ever so slowly. Anyway the Patterdale is still bred by workers/hunters and they DO NOT want the Patterdale popular, so it can be ruined.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:27 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by gjersy
just like the Airedale it was a hunting/working dog but got ruined by popularity. However a few of us are bringing the Airedale (redline) breed back ever so slowly. Anyway the Patterdale is still bred by workers/hunters and they DO NOT want the Patterdale popular, so it can be ruined.
When I/ if I can get one I want to get it for hunting and working. And for nothing else I don't care about looks I am looking for ability and using them for there original purpose.