HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sighting-in question
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 04:49 PM
BarnesAddict
Nontypical Buck

At times, your hunting and maximum shooting distance can be the determining factor. Multiple tags and a second animal should be considered.
For instance, if your maximum hunting shot distance is 90 to 100yds and your first shot(clean barrel) isn't that far off (1-2"), then starting with a clean barrel that's zeroed when fouled probably isn't a major issue. However if your hunting over agricultural fields where the first and/or second shot/s may be 150, 175 or 200yds, then it makes a huge difference.
In the Encore platform rifles I've owned, all SS and shooting BH, all required fouling for the type of hunting conditions presented to me. My last Pro Hunter shot approximately 4" high, 2" right with a clean barrel and I understood that. However my first shot when hunting could be at 200, so it required me to foul the barrel.
If you pay attention to moisture, don't take it from the cold to warmth and don't fall in a creek, I see no reason a SS barrel loaded with BH can't be fouled and loaded for a week. I've left them loaded for up to two weeks with no corrosion issues.
If in doubt, shoot it out and reload it.