HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Muzzleloader against Centerfire Rifle!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 02:25 PM
zmason1002
Spike

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Speaking of Bows I've been playing around with different broad heads. To date nothing I've tried kills like a 2 blade rage. I've not had a Deer go past 40 yards with one. I understand mechanical broadheads aren't so good for shoulder shots, but I don't shoot there.

Same here, when I first started bow hunting I shot a little deer with a schwacker and it worked good. Then I tried Montec CS, horrible blood trail and didn't like the opening, switched to Rage chisel tip 2 blade and only one Doe did I have to do a follow up shot on and it was my fault for shooting at 40 yards and I didn't stop her but it opened her up and she would have died from 1 lung and liver if she wouldn't have walked back to me. I switched last year to Magnus buzz cut 2 blade and I shot 2 deer with them but with horrible blood trails, so its back to 2 blade rage. I'm not sure how it will do on a shoulder shot as I haven't hit one there but I'm impressed with them. I'm shooting 70lbs at 27" draw with 27" Aluminum arrows.

The two deer I shot with my muzzleloader this year one dropped in sight but I spined and must have gotten lung as he dropped and tried to get up then expired within 30 seconds from the shot. The next one I shot was shoulder shot, slight quartering to me and she ran off about 50 yards and died. Bullet went in her left front shoulder and didn't exit, but made it under her hide behind her shoulder but the bullet was just a copper base with one petal. The exit was about a 1 inch long gash about the size of a pencil. Hornady SST 300 grain

All my cf kills have dropped them in their tracks .300 winmag shooting either SST 180 grain or 180?? Nosler partition. I did shoot one with a Barnes 200 grain bullet. All hand loads though.