HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Off Topic - A Big Coyote On One Of My Foodplots
Old 02-21-2017, 12:11 PM
Blackpowdersmoke
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
While it is possible for coyotes and dogs to breed, it doesn't happen all that often since the breeding cycle for dogs is different and from coyotes. I have read those crosses are usually between a female dog and male coyote because a female coyote would be more likely to try to kill the dog as breed with it. Wolf crosses have been wrongly called coy dogs for decades before DNA testing came on the scene. Of course in this case I don't know for sure, just playing the odds.
Anything's possible, but that combination of Coyote and domestic dog is VERY unlikely. I grew up hearing the term "Coydog" long before there were any true Coyotes in this area but it was pretty much a generic term for domestic dogs that were feral. I've read publications that included documented fact that the Eastern Coyote subspecie as we know it is a result of Coyote/Timber Wolf crossbreeding. I've never read anything that had factual evidence of Coyotes breeding with domestic dogs.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 02-21-2017 at 01:06 PM.