Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Off Topic - A Big Coyote On One Of My Foodplots >

Off Topic - A Big Coyote On One Of My Foodplots

Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Off Topic - A Big Coyote On One Of My Foodplots

Old 02-21-2017, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Off Topic - A Big Coyote On One Of My Foodplots

Compare his size to the deer at about the same distance from the camera.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

As Troy Landry would say..."CHOOT 'EM!!"

BPS
Old 02-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know how, but from the shape of the head and the body size, you may have gotten yourself one of those coywolves prowling around down there. Again I don't have a clue HOW since they are pretty much all North East but that bugger sure matches up to what they look like.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not likely a Coywolf. Perhaps a Coydog?
Old 02-21-2017, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

More likely a coy wolf than a coy dog. PA has yet to have a positive test as a coy dog but has lad a lot that had wold genes in them.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could be a coydog. Maybe a female yote bred by a fairly large dog. Have to have a better picture to tell for "sure". I've seen a few of those coywolves through the spotting scope well out of my range with what I was carrying at the time. 500 yards and a .444MAR isn't a likely combination. Not from me anyway. PA has some pretty dang big yotes up in the Poc areas. Not uncommon at all to nail a 50 pound yote around there. Nailed a couple nearing 60 pounds.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

While it is possible for coyotes and dogs to breed, it doesn't happen all that often since the breeding cycle for dogs is different and from coyotes. I have read those crosses are usually between a female dog and male coyote because a female coyote would be more likely to try to kill the dog as breed with it. Wolf crosses have been wrongly called coy dogs for decades before DNA testing came on the scene. Of course in this case I don't know for sure, just playing the odds. SH, check your PMs.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 02-21-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
While it is possible for coyotes and dogs to breed, it doesn't happen all that often since the breeding cycle for dogs is different and from coyotes. I have read those crosses are usually between a female dog and male coyote because a female coyote would be more likely to try to kill the dog as breed with it. Wolf crosses have been wrongly called coy dogs for decades before DNA testing came on the scene. Of course in this case I don't know for sure, just playing the odds.
Anything's possible, but that combination of Coyote and domestic dog is VERY unlikely. I grew up hearing the term "Coydog" long before there were any true Coyotes in this area but it was pretty much a generic term for domestic dogs that were feral. I've read publications that included documented fact that the Eastern Coyote subspecie as we know it is a result of Coyote/Timber Wolf crossbreeding. I've never read anything that had factual evidence of Coyotes breeding with domestic dogs.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 02-21-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

So far as I know, there are no wolves in Louisiana or any bordering States, except for the slim possibility of a few of nearly the extinct Red Wolf. But Red Wolves are marshland creatures and have a slim body and skinny legs. Finding one in our Pine forest country is extremely unlikely.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

You really don't need wolves in LA to have coy wolves. The ones we have in the northeast have moved down from Canada and are still migrating south. It could simply be one of the migrants. As I said, I certainly am not claiming that is a wolf cross for sure, I am just playing the odds because of the rarity of coyote dog crosses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.