HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer drives
Thread: Deer drives
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 04:10 AM
alleyyooper
Nontypical Buck

Talking

When I was a kid growing up in mid Michigan I was usually a driver on those types of hunts. All the neighbors would gather Thanksgiving afternoon, I don't know if it was a under stood thing to drive or if it was a word of mouth thing because not many had a telephone back then.

They would drive down the road to a farm that had a swampy brush filled area every one got out of the car/trucks an some one who seemed to be the leader set the standers, then the kids and some of the adults were drivers. You would pretty much keep your mouth shut and sort of sneak along with the wind blowing the scent to the deer. several times a buck would get shot trying to sneak past the drivers. Also many times the deer did not come tearing out of those swampy area until they hit the open then the afterburners would kick in.

Can't say when they stopped doing those drives for sure but I know I never went on one again after 1964.
Never really liked them my self.

I like my unmolested deer relaxed and walking thru my woods looking for a hot doe. No iffy shots taken. Know where every one else is too.

Al