HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Walking with Two Guns
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2016, 03:05 PM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by carlzday
why isn't it safe?? if he doesn't have a bullet chambered or, at least has the gun on safety there's little to no risk. whatsoever . he could have one slung on his back and the other in hand ...are you suggesting that when you go hunting and see an animal you THEN take the time to place the bullets in your gun then chamber a bullet so you can dispatch an animal? i do the same thing i carry the 22 for rabbits and a 30-30 for wolves ...would you suggest i shoot the rabbit with a 30-30 or the Timber wolf with a 22? OH and PS it's legal in Ontario... Checked it out and the number of firearms doesn't matter so long as you are following the allowable caliber restrictions based on season and what licenses you possess

Welcome newbie! I see you're the one that brought up a thread that was 4 1/2 years old and are questioning me on my one short post. Did you not read my more lengthy one explaining why I stated that? First off, the guy is carrying two loaded shotguns and shotguns don't use bullets like you mentioned! If he is carrying one over his non shooting shoulder with a sling, then there should be no problem, but that's not how it's described in the OP. Furthermore, I would hope they are both on safe, but a safety is not designed to prevent accidents like might happen in the scenario presented in the OP. To answer your questions about my practices, I usually don't have a cartridge in the chamber when I'm walking, especially out in Wyoming when I'm with another friend or two until we separate for our hunt. Very seldom, if ever can I recall a time when I couldn't easily chamber a cartridge if I see an animal I want to shoot before I get to where I will be sitting to glass up an animal for a stalk. Since you're new and from CA might you tell us something about yourself, like how old you are and your hunting experience. I'm 69 and have been enjoying the hunting/shooting sports since I was about 5 years old and took one of the first hunter safety courses ever offered by the NRA in the early 50s. How about you?

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-21-2016 at 03:11 PM. Reason: spelling