Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Walking with Two Guns >

Walking with Two Guns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Walking with Two Guns

Old 05-23-2012, 04:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default Walking with Two Guns

I have a friend which I hunt with who can be an interesting character, to say it politely. He has gotten in the habit of walking with a loaded 12ga for deer and a .410 for small game at the same time. It seams a bit weird but is it legal. Can he be fined for poor gun handling by a conservation officer?

Also what about a loaded crossbow and rifle in the stand at the same time?

I realize laws are slightly different state to state to province, but they are basically similar.

It helps explain why in 15 years he has gotten zero deer I can average almost 2 per year. I am mostly worried if an officer visits on a fluke and fines him then they will start to visit on a regular basis.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not too smart even if it's legal and he wouldn't be hunting with me due to safety concerns alone!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Frankly, while I agree the philosophy of wasting time shooting small game while scaring away your own deer is foolish, I really don't see the safety issue of carrying two guns at once?

Now, maybe your friend is not handling EITHER gun safely, but personally, I don't think that simply carrying two guns at once is inherently dangerous.

I carry a shotgun and a rifle all the time together while coyote hunting (typically with a sidearm on my hip as well). While firearms hunting of any kind, I almost ALWAYS (can't think of a time in the last 20yrs that I have not) have a sidearm loaded with my rifle or shotgun.

Ultimately, I don't see the issue (other than stupidity for ruining his own deer hunts) unless he's actually being negligent and unsafe with the weapons.

But again, for the 3rd time I reiterate, it's stupid to blow your own deer hunt to shoot small game, whether you're using two weapons or not. One of my sister's old boyfriends in college used to do that, he'd get bored in the deer stand so he'd shoot squirrels and rabbits with his deer rifle... Yeah, he didn't get many deer either... But again, that's dumb whether you have one, two, or twenty weapons in your possession.

Certain states DO consider crossbows to be firearms, in which case you could legally carry a firearm and a crossbow together. Other states don't allow crossbows and rifles/shotguns to be hunted at the same time, in which case it wouldn't be legal.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

If it's legal, and especially if he is safe, then there is nothing wrong with it. I also typically carry a revolver with me while hunting. And, I use a rifle and shotgun while yote hunting. As long as you are safe, I see no issue.
-Jake
Old 05-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

We have no laws against having multiple firearms when hunting. As long as you can safely handle the guns, there is no reason not to.

A fair number of people carry two guns. Typically one long gun, and a sidearm.

It's not all that uncommon for a small group of people to carry two long guns as well. A shotgun to get birds as they walk in, and a rifle for other game once they get to where they want to hunt their other prey. Typically this would be the really hardcore hunting folks who only eat the meat they kill.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

How many times has he had the .410 in his hand and a deer sprung up up, or how many times has he carried the rifle and a bird or squirrel took off. You can't concentrate on two different anomals at once and if you try you will only get discouraged and come home empty handed as he has proved. Devote all your time and thought to hunting one or another. JMO.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

As the other post suggest - if its legal and he is carrying safely I see no problem. Some varmint hunters (coyotes) carry a rifle and a shotgun from sit to sit for close and far shots.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Spike

You need to check the laws in your state to be sure. During firearms season we can carry two guns as long as they are both legal for deer & your ammo is all legal. What does he have in the .410? Here if I had a 12ga or a rifle & I carried a .410 also it would only be legal if it was loaded with slugs. I know guys who have carried a shotgun loaded with slugs & had buckshot in their pocket (or vice a versa) & they got fined. I often times take my scoped muzzleloader for long shots & a slug gun with open sites for those short, fast shots in the brush when I'm in my stand. But the laws differ greatly from state to state so check your states regulations.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

My answer to the the OP was strictly in respect to what he mentioned regarding carrying two loaded shotguns at the same time to shoot whatever jumps up as the guy walks. I see no way that is going to be done safely unless one is slung over his shoulder and that's not the way it sounded in the OP comment. I see no problem carrying a long gun and a sidearm where it is legal or carrying a rifle and shotgun to each sit where you are calling in varmints. In my 60 years of hunting I've never seen what the OP described.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 05-26-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I'm huntin with you; safety is paramount !

Bring whatever you want with you, as long as you handle them safely............................

Last edited by Sheridan; 05-27-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.