HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Walking with Two Guns
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2016, 12:17 PM
buffybr
Typical Buck

As to the OP, if your friend is carryingthe two guns safely and it is legal in your state, what's the problem?

I sometimes carry a pistol along with myrifle or shotgun when I am hunting.

One time we were hunting pheasants in northcentral Montana. Deer season was alsoopen so on most of our walks I had my .44 magnum on my hip. We came to one short, brushy draw and I didn’ttake the time to put on my .44. At theend of the draw I could smell deer so I stopped, and not 30 feet away was standingbroadside one of largest and heaviest whitetail buck that I have ever seen. We looked at each other for about 30 secondsbefore he took off. If I had taken thefew extra seconds to put my pistol on that buck would have been a slam dunkshot.

Another time my son and I were pheasanthunting in a large parcel of State land along the Missouri river. I hadn’t been thinking about deer huntingthat day so I didn’t bring a pistol. Since it was early in the season, and the shots are typically short, Ionly brought a box of 7 ½ shot Trap shells with me.

About an hour into our bird hunt, a 2 pointmuley buck (a 6 point for you folks back east) jumped up right in front of us,ran about 5 yards and fell down. When Iapproached the downed buck I could see that there was a fresh wound on his backleg, and the bone was broken. I don’tlike to see animals suffer, so I switched the selector on my 12 gauge O/U toFull choke, and from about 10 feet away, I put a load of 7 ½ shot between hiseyes. I put my tag on him, and my deerseason ended early that year.

I now just carry a couple of slug shells inmy bird hunting vest.