HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Duplexing For BH209
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 11:48 AM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Yes, I tried it years ago in a CVA Hawken sidelock and it worked fine, just super slow when it came time to reload.
Super slow? A quick dump just like powdering your flash pan on a flinter as an extra step would only add a couple seconds really. And I didn't even think about trying this with a sidelock given the flash hole position, I would imagine getting the FFFG next to it to ignite first would be difficult at best.

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Ive never liked the idea of duplexing/mixing powders. Different pressure spikes can occur and accuracy will change. I agree BH209 powder is the best powder using 209 primers. But using number 11"S in a White i would shoot 777 myself.
How could it change if you haven't tried it in the first place?? (give ya a sec to wrap yer head around that one )

But yes, variation in power spikes could be a small issue but easily resolved with careful pre measurement of the FFFG so as not to get any deviance between shots. I have some duplex loads (smokeless/BP combo) for my BP cartridge rifles that are absolutely SUPERB but one has to be exacting doing that. The same exacting nature would probably be needed for this as well.

(Disclaimer: Duplex smokeless/black powder loads are extremely dangerous and are NOT recommended for ANYONE not highly educated and experienced in loading and BP cartridge rifles. To put it simply, it can easily cost you your life.)