HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is it a " true" hunt putting a deer out of his misery?
Old 11-24-2003, 03:45 PM
badshotbob
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it a " true" hunt putting a deer out of his misery?

2-1/2 seasons, finally broke the dry spell. Shot a decent 6pt. with my muzzleloader. I know this is the bowhuning forum, but would appreciate input on this question about killing an injured animal - with any kind of weapon - is it a " true" hunt?

My wife see' s a buck running through the pasture on three legs so she tries to push it my way hoping I would get a shot to end its suffering. I could clearly see the buck was injured so I took him. I' m happy because it' s my first with a muzzleloader, but am left with a bad feeling about this whole deal because I took an already shot up injured animal with a dangling right front hoof that was more or less pushed to me. I' m fine with taking an animal out of it' s misery and wouldn' t hesitate to do it again. However I don' t feel like it was a " true" hunt if there is such a thing - like all the hogs seen on this forum that skilled hunters patterned and took with pride. It' s venison, and the boy' s going on the wall for the misery he went through, so hey, whatever. Just thought I' d try and get some opinions on this. Pic over at blackpowder board if interested. Thanks.
Bob